Natural History Museum (NHM)
The Natural History Museum (NHM) is home to life and earth science specimens comprising some 70 million items within 5 main collections: Botany, Entomology, Mineralogy, Palaeontology and Zoology. The Natural History Museum (NHM) is a world-renowned centre of research, specialising in taxonomy, identification and conservation. Given the age of the institution, many of the collections have great historical as well as scientific value, such as specimens collected by Darwin.
The Natural History Museum (NHM) Library contains extensive books, journals, manuscripts, and artwork collections linked to the work and research of the scientific departments.
NHM is an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media & Sport.
The Natural History Museum
London SW7 5BD
Switchboard: +44 (0)20 7942 5000 (9.00-17.50 daily)
Open Hours: Daily 10.00-17.50; Last entry: 17.30; Closed 24-26 December
Email: enquiries form.
View locations of Natural History Museum, London on google maps
The nearest Tube station is South Kensington on the District, Piccadilly and Circle lines.
The station is approximately five minutes’ walk from the Museum.
Routes 14, 49, 70, 74, 345, 360, 414, 430 and C1 stop close to the Museum.
There are cycle racks by the Cromwell Road entrance and on Exhibition Road.
The nearest Barclays Cycle Hire docking stations are outside our Exhibition Road entrance and on Thurloe Place, near South Kensington Tube station.
For groups travelling by coach, the drop-off point is outside the Cromwell Road entrance.
We do not have parking facilities on-site and parking around the Museum is limited.
- Call: +44 (0)20 7942 5000
- 12 Blue Badge parking spaces on Exhibition Road
- Park four hours between 8.30 – 18.30
Ticket and product enquiries
Gifts, books and other retail products: +44 (0)20 7942 5494
Tickets and group bookings: +44 (0)20 7942 5725
If you lose something at the Museum please email us with your name, contact details, a description of the item and the date of your visit. We keep lost items for 28 days.
Venue hire: +44 (0)20 7942 5434
Filming: +44 (0)20 7942 5273
Publishing: +44 (0)20 7942 5071
Licensing (retail): +44 (0)20 7942 5652
Picture library and photography: +44 (0)20 7942 6547
Membership: +44 (0)20 7942 5000
Volunteering and work experience: +44 (0)20 7942 6048
Press office: +44 (0)20 7942 5654
Library and Archives enquiries
Library and Archives: +44 (0)20 7942 5460
School bookings and enquiries
Book a school visit: +44 (0)20 7942 5555
Lines are open: Monday-Friday – 8.30-16.00 (term time) and 10.00-13.00 (school holidays).
Colour & vision Exhibition
Weekdays: +44 (0)20 7942 5654
Evenings and weekends: +44 (0)7799 690 151
- Access free Wheelchairs from cloakroom.
- Wheelchair-accessible toilets and baby-changing facilities.
- Blue Badge holders for Parking.
- Cloakrooms to leave coats and luggage.
- welcome guide dogs at the Museum
Museum Members and children aged three and under can leave items for free, including folded pushchairs.
Prices per item:
Bags weighing up to 4kg: £2.50
Bags weighing more than 4kg: £5
- Enjoy burgers, pizzas, pasta and puddings.
- Special kids’ menu and microwaves to warm baby food.
- In the Green Zone. Open 11.00-15.30 weekdays and 11.00-16.00 weekends and school holidays.
- Sandwiches, wraps and seasonal salads, or try our cakes, pastries and muffins.
- Special lunch and activity packs for kids.
- In the Red Zone. Open 10.00-17.00.
The Coffee House
- Enjoy delicious artisan coffees and indulge in freshly baked pastries and cakes.
- In the Red Zone, next to the Lasting Impressions gallery. Open 10.00-17.00.
- Sandwiches and salads, or tuck into crisps, cakes, pastries and fruit.
- In the Blue Zone. Open 10.00-17.30. High chairs are available for babies and toddlers.
Darwin Centre Café
- In this light and airy café, a range of sandwiches and salads, or indulge in our crisps, cakes, pastries, muffins and sweet snacks.
- In the Orange Zone. Open 10.00-17.00.
- A great range of nature-inspired gifts for all ages.
- From puzzles and toys to art prints and homeware, it is a must for all visitors.
- Near Hintze Hall and the Cromwell Road entrance.
The Cranbourne Boutique
- Elegant fashion ranges, replicas of star specimens, luxury decorations and more – buy exclusive pieces at The Cranbourne Boutique.
- In the Red Zone, between Human Evolution and the Lasting Impressions gallery.
- Models, soft toys, games, puzzles, mugs, T-shirts and onesies
- Dedicated to dinosaurs and perfect for lovers of all things prehistoric.
Freedom of information (FOI)
Library and Information Services
The Natural History Museum
London SW7 5BD