Horniman Public Museum and Public Park Trust
Opened in 1901, the Horniman was designed in the Arts and Crafts style. It was founded by Frederick Horniman, who had inherited his father’s tea business, which by 1891 had become the world’s biggest tea trading company. It specialises in anthropology, natural history and musical instruments and has a collection of 350,000 objects.
Horniman is an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media & Sport.
100 London Road
London SE23 3PQ
Tel: 020 8699 1872, +44 20 8699 1872
Open Hours: Mon-Sun – 10.30am – 5.30pm
View location of Horniman Public Museum and Public Park Trust, London on google maps
- Daily 10.30am – 5.30pm, except 24 – 26 December, when we are closed.
- Daily 9:30am – 5:30pm, last orders for hot food at 5:00pm.
- Monday – Saturday: 7.15am – sunset
- The Animal Walk: daily from 12.30 to 4pm, except 24 – 26 December.
- The Nature Trail: 9am to 4pm, closed at short during bad weather. Call: 020 8699 1872.
- Sundays and Bank Holidays: 8am – sunset, except 25 December
- Closing Times
Getting into Horniman Public Museum and Public Park
- 176, 185, 197, 356, P4 – stop outside the Museum and Gardens on London Road
- 122 – stops on Dartmouth Road
- P13 – stops on Underhill Road
- 363 – stops on Sydenham Hill Road
By train / London Overground
- The Horniman is a five to ten minute walk from Forest Hill station and is signposted from the platform 1 exit.
- This walk is uphill, there are several bus services which stop at both the station and museum.
- Forest Hill is on the London Overground line between Highbury and Islington and West Croydon / Crystal Palace line.
- Train station: From Central London, Croydon and Surrey.
- Direct train services: From London Bridge (approx every ten minutes, journey time 13 minutes) linking with the Northern and Jubilee lines, and London Victoria linking with the Victoria, Circle and District lines, East Croydon, West Croydon, Sutton, Purley and Caterham.
There are bicycle racks outside the Museum near the main entrance on London Road.
- A pay-and-display car park is available locally behind Sainsbury’s
- Two pay-and-display car parks at Forest Hill station (one at the front, one at the back).Note: Avoid parking on private roads. For coaches, there is a drop off point outside the Museum near to the Clock Tower.
Car parking for disabled visitors, Call: 020 8699 1872
By joining as a member, you will not only receive some fantastic benefits and will also be directly supporting the care of our collections and Gardens.
Free entry to Aquarium, Exhibitions, 10% discount at the shop, Free quarterly e-newsletter
Call: 020 8291 8169.
- Call the Membership Office: 020 8291 8169
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purchase by cash, card or Direct Debit.
- Open: Monday – Friday 10.00am to 5.00pm.
- Allow 10 working days for delivery.
- Hot and cold meals, sandwiches, pastries, cakes, fair-trade teas and coffees and cold drinks including beer and wine.
- Homemade cakes and breads, meat, fish.
- Best quality produce from suppliers – Volcano Coffee Works, Birchall Tea, Paul Rhodes Bakery,William Rose Butchers and Marshfield Farm Ice Cream.
- Highchairs are available.
Self-led Visit for schools
Contact: 0208 291 8686
Reduced Exhibition entry rate is available for school groups:
- Aquarium: £1 per person.
- Dinosaurs: Monster Families £2.25 per person. Or £2.50 per person to visit both.
- We allocate each class (up to 30 pupils) an entry time
- Small public cloakroom: space is limited and allocated on a first come first served basis.
- The Gardens are available for picnicking.
- Our outdoor picnic tables are available every day during Garden opening hours and the Dutch Barn (indoor space for ~30 children) is open 11am-3pm on Wednesdays to Sundays.
- Pupils send into the shop in small groups with an adult supervisor.
Each school can apply for funding once in an academic year, for up to 3 of our 45 minute tutor-led object handling sessions.
Primary and Secondary schools with over 30% current pupils eligible for free school meals.
For bookings, contact: visit our booking session pages.
For Enquiries, Email: email@example.com
Call: 020 8291 8686
FREE after-school CPD events
INSET and CPD training
- 45 minute session covering the basics.
- Half-day training (2.5 hours) going into more detail.
- Whole-day INSET.
- Training is available for groups of 10 to 30 people.
- Telephone : +44 (0)20 8291 8166
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
For Weddings at the Horniman Conservatory,
Contact, Suzanne James Ltd: 020 8693 1476
For Ceremony in Horniman Conservatory,
Lewisham Registry Office
The Old Bakery
11b Barry Road
London SE22 0HX
Tel: 020 8693 1476
Fax: 0208 693 5253