Geffrye Museum (GMus) in Kingsland Road
The Geffrye Museum (GMus) depicts the quintessential style of English middle-class living rooms. Geffrye Museum (GMus) collections of furniture, textiles, paintings and decorative arts are displayed in a series of period rooms from 1600 to the present day.
GMus is an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media & Sport.
Location: In London’s East End.
The Geffrye Museum of the Home
136 Kingsland Road
Tel: 020 7739 9893
Fax: 020 7729 5647
Opening hours: Monday – closed, Tuesday – Sunday – 10am – 5pm
View location of Geffrye Museum, London on google maps
Overground: Hoxton Station (directly behind the museum)
Tube: Old Street (Subway 2), then bus 243 or a 15 minute walk
Tube: Liverpool Street, then bus 149 or 242 or a 20 minute walk
Rail: Liverpool Street
Buses: 67, 149, 242, 243, 394
Cycling: 8 cycle stands, inside the main entrance Cycle docking station – Falkirk Street and Geffrye Street, Hoxton
- Limited meter parking locally.
- Disabled visitors: In front of the museum for up to three hours between 10am – 4pm.
General enquiries: email@example.com
Press and media: firstname.lastname@example.org
Curatorial enquiries: email@example.com
Shop enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteering enquiries: email@example.com
Museum hire: firstname.lastname@example.org
The museums’s eleven period rooms and special exhibitions are open at the following times:
- Tuesday – Sunday :10am – 5pm
- Bank Holiday: Mondays 10am – 5pm
- Closed on: Mondays (unless Bank Holiday), Good Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day
- The herb and period gardens: open until the end of October.
- The front gardens: open all year round.
- Café : until 4.45pm
- Shop: open during museum hours
- Period Rooms
- Also explore
- 360 panoramas
- Virtual tour
- The Geffrye’s period rooms show how homes and home life have changed over time.
- The period rooms are not the actual living rooms of actual people.
- Shows styles and tastes have evolved in the past four hundred years.
- The type of furniture and furnishings and the main changes in the style of English homes.
- Visitors are invited to sit on a replica chair in each of these introductory displays
The eleven period rooms are presented chronologically,
- Hall, 1630
- Parlour, 1695
- Parlour, 1745
- Parlour, 1790
- Drawing room, 1830
- Drawing room, 1870
- Drawing room, 1890
- Drawing room, 1910
- Living room, 1935
- Living room, 1965
- Loft style apartment, 1998
Tickets to enter the Restored Almshouse :
- General museum admission is free
- Adults £4, Friends of the Geffrye, disabled visitors (and their companion) and children under 16 free.
- Places are limited: first-come, first-served.
- Groups of 8 or more can book in advance.
- Information and Bookings Officer: 020 7739 9893 (1st and 3rd Wednesdays only).
- Front gardens
- Herb garden
- Period gardens
- Take a moment on your journey through the museum to explore some of these special spaces.
- Original almshouse chapel, a beautiful, high-ceiled space complete with wooden pews and pulpit.
- Relax in this tranquil space overlooking the beautiful garden reading rooms.
- Features of 20th century paintings of interiors.
Book a table: 020 7749 6030
Opening hours: Tuesday – Friday, 10 – 5pm
- We serve hot dishes, salads, sandwiches, pastries and cakes, as well as hot and cold drinks, wine and beer.
- The café is set in a light and airy space overlooking the period gardens.
- We offer smaller sized portions of soups and sandwiches for children.
- For groups of less than 8 there is no need to book.
Telephone: 020 7739 9893
Bookings Officer: 020 7739 9893
Facilities for groups:
- a wide range of talks, which can be tailor-made to suit different needs and interests.
- a light, airy café overlooking the gardens, serving home-cooked English food at reasonable prices.
- a well-stocked shop, offers specialist books and high-quality gifts and crafts.
- View our group lunch menu.
For booking tickets, call: 020 7749 6024
Contact, Events team: 020 7739 9893
Wedding parties for up to 60 people can be accommodated.
view our Wedding Brochure.
Job Applications, Geffrye Museum, 136 Kingsland Road, London, E2 8EA.
For a full job description, please download here.
For an application form, please download here.
NOTE: Only candidates with the requisite essential criteria will be considered.